Thursday, June 30, 2011

Experimenting with Surfaces

In the eternal quest to keep things loose, 
yesterday I tried an experiment.
I took an image of a group of folks way down on the beach 
(with my new 30 times zoom camera!)
and printed it out of focus so I only had the big shapes to work with. 
(No details)
 
I  did this one on a stretched 8 x 8 canvas panel
toned in middle value grey

Then I did this one on an 8 x 10 gesso board 
toned in flat black

I must say, I'm finding the smooth boards a real treat to paint on! 
The paint slides around like melting butter! 
I'm not abandoning the canvas boards just yet though. 
They are good for certain subjects, especially plein air work. 

NOTE: Be sure to check out the work done by the Alzheimer patients yesterday! 


1 comment:

  1. I think both paintings are very successful. Two different looks, both lovely! Great subject matter, love the composition.

    ReplyDelete