Thursday, February 23, 2012

Designing with Shapes of Color

My fun friend Sally came over the other day to paint.
We decided to try doing an abstract figure based on a 
very washed out sepia toned photo a friend had given me. 
There were no clear passages of light or dark,
so the challenge was to "design" the painting with shapes of color.  

"Red Hat" 
8 x 10 

I used a gesso board, synthetic brushes, and lots of paint 
to keep myself from any detail. 
This was an interesting exercise! 
With a little stretch of the imagination, 
it almost feels like one of 
Richard Diebenkorn's figures!?   

PS. Sally and I both work with Alzheimer patients 
and she gave my group a wonderful tour of an art show yesterday. 
You can read about it on my other blog here.  

3 comments:

  1. What a great exercise! I like the simplicity of your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent design work, Nancy, and the shapes are all so interesting, giving the painting a very fresh look. (First comment had pre-coffee typos.)

    ReplyDelete