Thursday, September 28, 2017

Over Working


Still working on NOT overworking a larger painting
when I go back in to fix/ finish it.   
I think I solved some of the issues on this one 
in rounds two and three,
but it feels over worked to me. 


Surf Casters
18 x 24 oil 


My best work has always been done 
"alla prima"or in one session.  
It feels more intuitive and spontaneous, 
and that's when the magic can happen, 
without the struggle. 

I think this 15 minute gouache sketch 
has more personality than the big oil
that took me a couple of days.  







3 comments:

  1. Still, great painting. The gouache sketch has more movement and liveliness. Good point....mmmmm....how to get a big painting and still have the motion???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them both, for different reasons. I like the gouche study, because of the spontaneity, and movement. I like the flatter one, because it is flat. In the larger one, you pushed the shapes, and made them flatter, which is very interesting. The people become shapes, both individually and as a whole, more of an abstract. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I like the sketch much better.

    ReplyDelete