Thursday, March 25, 2010

Beach Light


Peggotty Beach
Scituate, MA 

 I have been inspired by a show of work by Dora Atwater Millikin that I saw yesterday at the Walker-Cunningham Fine Art gallery in Boston. (Click on "artists", then "contemporary") She really captures a sense of "beach light"in her paintings with very simple shapes and terrific values. Today was the only warmish day we are going to get this week, so I packed off to Peggody Beach in Scituate Harbor this morning. There was wonderful late-winter stark light, filtered by high thin clouds shining on the beach houses. Right when I started, the wind picked up and the light went away so I had to paint it pretty quickly. About an hour. It was a slice of heaven.  


"Beach Light"
8 x 16 

1 comment:

  1. I know Dora! She lives near me, and her paintings are of the Westport/Little Compton area! Cool gal, you'd like her. So happy for you you got out and got this nice little painting - even tough you were under the 'gun' of wind & light!

    ReplyDelete