Monday, August 2, 2010

"Off Road Painting"

Today, I set up my gear in a wonderfully private spot overlooking the marsh and tucked away just off a busy road. It was divine to be there with just me and my I Home (to drown out the noise from the road; I usually just listen to "nature" when I paint outside.) I set up facing the road, because it was high noon and there were some dark shadows to work with. (The view of the marsh was pretty bleached out.) The light changed dramatically throughout the hour it took me to do this, but I tried to stay focussed on the big dark and light shapes that I saw in the beginning.
Here  is what I was looking at 

I established the darks as a "map"

my "block in"
I covered the whole canvas with big shapes in generally correct values


Then I added a little "dessert"

I was having so much fun, I couldn't leave. I didn't want to over work this one so I stopped, turned around and did another one of the marsh in the later light. I'll post that next. 





No comments:

Post a Comment