Sunday, August 28, 2016

My Greatest Influence

The greatest influence on my work was my college art professor

He was chairman of the art department at Muskingum College 
in New Concord, Ohio
 where I studied from 1968 - 1972.
I was his teaching assistant and worked in his gallery
 on Martha's Vineyard for three summers. 

I have many fond memories of us 
sketching and exploring the Vineyard together. 

Some of his sketches:



He taught me the joy of "capturing a moment in time."
A talented and generous artist,
he was first and foremost;
a true gentle man.

His Artist’s Statement:
(from a show he had in the late 90's)
“The doing of these paintings represent many pleasurable hours. If my work has a purpose, it is the eternal one of trying to maintain a positive attitude in a seemingly indifferent world. The excitement is in the trying to get ever closer; to capture the magic of that moment in time. The incentive comes from the illusion of improvement; that the next experience will meet the goal. The rewards are too numerous to mention, but financial and honorary and not on the list.” 

I feel so fortunate to have spent so much time with him 
at such an influential time my artist journey.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful, heartfelt tribute to your mentor. We should all be so lucky to connect with a kindred soul along our painting journey.

    ReplyDelete