Thursday, May 29, 2014

Exercises for Painting Figures in the Sunlight

In preparation for my 
class at NRAS this summer, 
I've been trying out some ideas for exercises. 
Figures wearing hats offer great opportunities for 
strong light and shadow patterns.

"Hat Girl"
I Pad painting 


Recently on a brisk, bright sunny late afternoon, 
I was outside my studio with some girlfriends,
and everyone needed a hat. 
I got out my "model" hats and 
was able to take some great "mud head" shots! 
I printed, then outlined them in magic marker to simplify the shapes,
then did some value sketches. 


To further play around with color and shapes,
I had fun doing I Pad paintings, using the Brushes app. 




The problem with I Pad paintings is,
you can't quite get the same graphic drama
 when translating them in to oils.  

It will be worth a try though. 
Stay tuned. 

1 comment:

  1. I like to outline photos with a Sharpie because I can't draw to save my life. I complete them with gouache, and add or subtract to get a good design (glass of wine?). I never thought of doing a value sketch first; Thanks!

    ReplyDelete