Thursday, December 22, 2011

Winter Solstice Gift

When I heard the forecast for today,
(52 degrees and sunny!)
 I decided to celebrate the Winter Solstice 
by painting outside! 

Winter Solstice 
10 x 10 
(study) 

A friend of mine has a dock on the magnificent 
North River.
The walk to the end was breathtaking!


It was 3:00 and the sun was really low 
making the light very purply and soft.   
I had to work fast so I chose this simple view.  

I was drawn to that  dramatic light coming off
the wet mud at low tide. 

Being out there today was such an incredible gift 
and I was overwhelmed with gratitude.  

Ironically, when I got home, a friend of mine 
 sent me this poem.
Serendipitous!?  

The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds,
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief.  I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light.   For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

- Wendell Berry




5 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting- nothing like painting plein air! I intend to do way more of that. Have a Merry Everything and a Happy Always!! Take care, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a gorgeous day on another planet... we got 2 feet of gorgeous snow!
    Your painting is wonderful, as are the photos.
    Thanks for the Wendell Berry. I've always loved him.
    Have a sweet holiday. Yes, go ahead and eat another brownie or whatever... I sure will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple beautiful....Thanks for a lovely start to my day. Happy night before the night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed looking through your blog. I like the way you include a photo of what you are painting and then the painting. It gives good insight into your process. Hope you don't mind if I copy that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful, Nancy! Thanks for sharing the experience, the painting, and the poem.

    ReplyDelete