Sunday, October 23, 2011

"The James"

The Girls Just Wanna Paint challenge group
has been invited to have a show 
at the James Library this December.
In preparation, our challenge this month is to paint 
"The James". 

The Steinway  
6 x 8 
(I archived the photo I used for this painting years ago
 with the idea of painting it someday.)

The James Library is a very special place to me. 
There are three floors, each dedicated to art, books, and music.
My three passions, thanks to my parents.  

 I asked my friend Ellen Mckenna,
the current board chair and music aficionado
for a little history of this beloved piano.
This is what she sent me:
"The Steinway grand piano at the James is a treasure. It was built in 1929,
and is a "B" model Steinway, larger than a baby grand by about 3 feet in
length. The James was lucky to acquire the piano from an amateur musician
who lived on the Cape.  Towards the end of his life the musician wanted to
sell the piano to an organization that would treasure it and allow it to be
played in chamber concerts and recitals. Paul Rattigan, who took care of the
piano for the musician, was the contact who brought the James and the piano
together. A fundraiser was held by the James to raise enough money to
purchase the piano in 2000. Since that time it has been the focal point of
many wonderful concerts by both local and "celebrity" musicians. It has also
been played by countless lucky piano students during their piano lessons at
the James. Paul Rattigan continues to keep it in perfect playing condition. "

Our daughter took piano lessons on that piano.
I had my first showing of my art work there in 1996!
What a gift. 

6 comments:

  1. Such a challenging subject, but so well handled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love this painting! The colors could not be more perfect, actually it is all just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I love this painting. It is so fresh and clean . I really enjoyed reading the story behind it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the James too- it is a gem.
    Love this painting of the grand piano in the grand old room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting Interior...I took lessons on that piano!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the painting. Interiors are always a favorite with me, and this one is exceptional.
    I also love knowing the history behind this beautiful instrument. The original piano owner would be so proud of how wonderfully his gift has "performed" all these years.
    And congratulations to Girls Just Wanna Paint on your December show!

    ReplyDelete