Sunday, June 5, 2016

When is a Painting Finished?

We all struggle with that critical question
so I was thrilled when my good friend Ann Marie Dowd
sent me the link to an exhibit
currently showing at the Met Breuer 
"Unfinished: Thoughts Left Visible".

I highly recommend watching the
one minute video. 



Portrait of Ria Munk III 1917-1918
  Gustav Klimt (Austrian, 1862–1918)

While working on this portrait Gustav Klimt died, 
so this unfinished work gives insight 
into the artist’s process.

(Paraphrased from a recent review on line) 
"The exhibit examines the critical question of when a work of art is finished. 
Featuring 197 works dating from the Renaissance to the present,
it demonstrates The Met’s unique capacity to mine its rich collections
 and scholarly resources
 to present modern and contemporary art 

within a deep historical context."

Oh how I love the internet. 





2 comments:

  1. On a similar note I have this quote by artist Patricia Oblack on my work area wall: "stop short of the immediately recognizable".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete