Monday, February 27, 2012

Painting Upside Down

I've been thinking about ways to get my students
to "just see the big shapes." 
I thought I'd try doing a painting upside down,
from a simple photo.

I felt totally lost until I forced myself to just focus
on the large, flat abstract shapes. 

 
What a surprise this was when I turned it over!
I highly recommend trying this exercise
and plan on doing many more!
It's a great lesson toward "letting go".  

Note: While painting this, the figure in the red pants reminded me 
of a dear artist friend Ros Farbush 
who recently passed away at 83 years old. 
She was actively plein air painting right up to the end, 
thanks to the many dedicated artist friends who happily 
helped her schlepp her gear all over the place. 
(Cape Cod, Holland, Mexico etc) 
She was an extraordinary woman  
and will be missed by many! 


6 comments:

  1. Good exercise and good to be reminded of it! I like your painting.

    Sorry to hear of the death of your friend. She sounds like a really remarkable person and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hoot! Think I'll try it myself.

    RIP, Roz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Nancy! That really came out great. It's been a while since I've tried that exercise, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great exercise! Yes, it looks a little like Rossie! She was something, huh? xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, and great idea!

    Your puppy is soooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great exercise and love your demo! I must try this! I do have to admit looking at the photo of the ladies upside down kinda makes me feel a little dizzy though! ha!

    ReplyDelete